Congratulations to our latest Artists of the Fortnight. Brooke worked hard to create a decorative fruit and vegetable print, Shaun completed a creative dragon in a cave artwork and Aria showed a lot of skill when creating her clay fish tile. Outstanding work from outstanding students!
Theme: “AUSTRALIA: STORY COUNTRY”
When: Friday 12th August, 2016
On Friday 12th August we will be celebrating Book Week in our school. This year the theme is: Australia - Story Country. With significant notice for all children to prepare it should be an enjoyable and colourful parade. For the Year 6 students it is their last opportunity to dress up and have fun with the other children. We have a wonderful reading culture within our school and so many opportunities are opened up in life if students leave primary school as competent readers with developed stamina in reading. It is a real pleasure to walk around the school and see so many students engrossed in their books each morning.
START THINKING ABOUT YOUR COSTUME NOW!!
Keep some time available if you have the opportunity to visit your child on our Athletics Sports Day scheduled for Wednesday 17th August, 2016. All parents are welcome to attend and watch their children participate. Some parents may be asked to briefly assist at some of the events. Please avail yourselves of a cuppa, drink and biscuit at the school canteen on the day. Get in early and have your House T- shirts organised well in advance of the day as we are usually inundated the day before and the morning of sports day. The Uniform Shop is open each Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon from 3.00pm until 3.30pm.
Thank you to all the parents that completed the School Review Survey and put it in the box at the office. We had more than 75% returned, so we appreciate it very much as it provides information for our review in August with Mr Mike Rowland. Three surveys per classroom were distributed so we apologise if any families had an overlap with two coming home. Some excellent suggestions were made for our planning going forward. A couple of queries I can respond to at this point in time and others we will take to staff, Parents’ Club and School Council were:
- LOTE will travel with the children through school. We are in the first three year mode where it is being delivered to Prep- 2 students. In 2018 it will progress into Years 3 & 4 and in 2019 it will progress into Years 5 and 7. It was a staged program for schools beginning with a qualified person as we have with Mrs Kent
- Our Cross Country is split into year levels due to safety requirements. We acknowledge that for parents that have a number of participants that this can be a challenge to see all involved
- We would love to investigate some new play equipment for the junior students and this will also be a consideration for School Council as well
- There is great merit in suggesting a grandparent or special person visit to our school on one day or over a week in our school
- Many suggested a major fundraiser such as a ‘fete’. To do so in the near future we would need to have increased numbers able to participate and assist to plan such an event. Many schools have moved away from the fete as it takes so much teaching time away from the school and donations for prizes and raffles were becoming more difficult to procure. Many have gone back to what our Parents’ Club does very well – that is to have some minor and major fundraisers across the year to enable more parents to help and to distribute the cost for parents a little more evenly across the year
- The suggestions for new sports and play equipment are backed up by the student survey as well and this will be a priority to see where purchases can be made
Thank you to everyone, we will keep working on the suggestions and try to implement as many as possible.
The DET Parent Opinion Survey was distributed on Monday to randomly selected families. We do not choose who receives a survey as it is electronically selected from our enrolment list and we forward it on as directed by DET. We appreciate your time and commitment to the process. Summarised results from DET will be available later in the year. Thank you to the prompt return of so many - we are very appreciative as we are asked to try and ensure that 100% are returned.